The Greatest Question We Ask, What if?
Last Sunday was exciting. We as the Christian Church, celebrated one of the most important events on our church history, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, And we did so by looking at Matthew’s account of events that happened that morning on the first day of the week, as Mary and Mary, then Peter and John, went to the tomb to see for themselves that the tomb was empty and the Jesus’ body was not there.
We pulled apart the angels invitation to, Come, See, and Know, and we said how important it was that they looked and saw, that it was true, that Jesus really had risen. And we looked briefly as the resurrected Jesus proved that he was alive by showing himself to his apostles and his followers over 40 days.
We looked at all of this because, as believers today, it is vital that we too know that Jesus really did die, that he really was buried, and that on the third day he really was raised from the dead.
Why? Because everything that we believe in hinges on us knowing that there was a resurrection. It’s important because, if there was not resurrection, then there is no life. And so I asked that question, What if?
- What if all of this really is true?
- What if all the eye witness accounts and testimonies are all credible?
- What if all of what we read in the Bible is that actual story of our past, our present and our future?
- Would it change everything about how we live and what we live for?
You see, I am convinced that what God wants more than anything else, is for His people to live in this life believing that what He writes for us in this book is true and that it matters and that we are living it out in our lives every single day that we are on this earth.
So, what if we took the time to look closely at this Jesus and asked,
- What if we committed myself to know him deeper?
- What if we pursued Him in His word with passion?
- What if we threw out all the preconceived ideas and notions about what I thought who Jesus was, and we come to His word with new eyes?
- What if we desired to live out all that he taught and how he lived, just so others might see Jesus living in me?
- What if we took my faith serious, and made more about God, and less about me?
- What if we stop pretending to be Christians, and really start living like the followers we are called to be?
You see, I believe that if we humble ourselves and ask the What if? questions, I believe God will show us how to live for him in a new and powerful way.
My question for you, Are you wanting more in your faith life than what you have know? If your answer is yes, then be sure to join us as we pursue the, What if? questions. Over the next couple of weeks I will be sharing my notes and the the weekly readings from our series, What if? The series is designed to help us discover the proof statement of Jesus Christ as recorded by the Apostle John and to allow the truth of the statement to change how we live our lives today. Along with the notes from our Sunday sermons, I have put together a list of daily readings to help us read our way through the Gospel of John. And each week we will have a memory verse to help us hide God's Word in our hearts.
Everything kicks off on Monday morning.
PS - Was this post helpful, insightful, encouraging, or thought provoking? Great! I'd love to hear from you! Share your reactions, thoughts, and/or comments in the comment section! And thanks for reading and supporting the blog!
Thanks for taking the time to read The Higham Family Blog. Each week we try to share new content about something we are learning, something we love, or something to offer encouragement to the family. We love to hear from our readers, so please share your thought in the comment section of each post.